beach party II

June 5, 2006


Our other main meal on the beach over the holiday weekend (besides gigantic platters of French toast, eggs, sausages, pancakes, and hash browns), was a serious BBQ session. The Katie and Tyler part of the team had wisely pre-made a vat of homemade beans, home brewed cornbread, and prepped the ingredients for a great Asian slaw. All we had left to do was cook about three hogs worth of spareribs at the end of long day spent hiking and kayaking. We didn’t have the gear or time to cook them slowly, so we elected to parboil them. I’m from NC and frankly, this is hard to admit. Friends and family back home will read this and nod knowingly: “That boy done went wrong, moved north to Alaska, and look what happened…..” One must have BBQ standards, and this is simply not the way ribs are done. You get up at 4 am, treat them to a dry rub and then fire them gently, gently over wood charcoal for 5 or 6 hours so they are ready for tailgating at the football stadium. I digress. We were short for time, had a lot of hungry folks that needed to eat, so we grabbed a 10 gallon stew pot used for the shrimp boil the night before and filled it full of briny cold water from Kachemak Bay. Do you have any idea how long it takes to bring that much cold water to a boil over a Coleman camp stove? It’s a long time. We added a few chopped heads of garlic, rough cut onions, a good bit of salt and pepper, and we waited. An hour or so later we were still waiting, but the broth smelled great. I got impatient and added the ribs to the pot, and again, we waited. Roughly fifty pounds of simmering pork ribs is a powerful attractant, and soon the kitchen area was ringed with hopeful campers. Chairs were brought, drinks were poured and all was well with the world. While the ribs cooked, we lit a huge pile of charcoal and prepped a pan of barbecue sauce for dunking the ribs. We fished the slabs of meat from the hot broth and coated them with sauce before slapping them on the grill to crisp and sear the sauce into a sweet gooey mess. Once the right level of crispy charring was achieved, we slid the half-rack ribs onto a board, sliced them up, and offered corn bread, homemade baked beans, cole slaw, and many, many paper towels.

Print Email This Post

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Cathy July 9, 2006 at

This reminds me of childhood memories of bar-be-qued ribs. My Dad would rub the ribs with salts and other rub spices….then let them sit for awhile to season and then put the ribs on the grill and cook them for about forty minutes turning them every ten minutes or so….remembering how many times was the challenge especially if local Gilroy Scagliotti wine was being consumed by the cooks….when the forty minutes was up..the ribs were put into a steamer …usually a round rack into a big pot….wine and sherry would be put in the pot along with garlic and rosemary/thyme whatever herb that was growing….then place the ribs on the rack to keep them up from being wet but just right for a twenty minute steam bath…Yummy with beans and corn bread and salad. Thanks for the pictures too…I could close my eyes and smell the food.

2 (the other) Jared January 12, 2007 at

Wow! Well done… that’s a LOT of ribs. The result looks pretty tasty as well.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: